Effects of denture cleansers on denture material properties —An observational Case—Control Study.
Everyday use of denture cleansers to prevent microbial colonization on dentures can affect the properties of the denture base material. Limited literature is available on the effects of denture cleanser on reinforced resins. This study aimed to evaluate and compare the effect of denture cleanser on the flexural and impact strength of conventional and reinforced heat cure acrylic resins. Materials and Methods: Rectangular shaped specimens were prepared for flexural and impact strength as per ISO 1567. The denture base resins used included conventional, high impact, nylon fiber reinforced and glass fiber reinforced heat cure acrylic resins. They were further categorized into subgroups A and B depending on immersion in distilled water or denture cleanser (3.8% sodium perborate based). The flexural strength and impact strength of specimens were measured. The study design is a observational case-control study. SPSS version 25 statistical analysis software was used, and the STROBE statement checklist was followed. Results: The mean flexural strength was highest for glass fiber reinforced heat cure resin followed by conventional heat cure resin, high impact heat cure resin and nylon reinforced heat cure resin, respectively. The mean impact strength was highest for high impact heat cure resin followed by glass fiber reinforced heat cure resin, conventional heat cure resin, and nylon fiber-reinforced resin respectively.Conclusion: All the denture base resins tested exhibited a decrease in flexural and impact strength following use of a denture cleanser.
2. Vojdani M, Sattari M, Khajehoseini S, Farzin M. Cytotoxicity of resin-based cleansers: an in vitro study. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2010;12(2):158.
3. Craig RG, JM. Power. Restorative dental materials. 11th Ed. Mosby: St. Louis; 2002. 87-99.
4. El-Mahdy MH, El-Gheriani WE, Idris BA, Saad AH. Effect of coupling agents on the important physico-mechanical properties of acrylic resin reinforced with ceramic filler. Ainshams Dent J. 2005;8(2):243-54.
5. Meng TR, Latta MA. Physical properties of four acrylic denture base resins. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005; 6(4):93-100.
6. Phillips RW. Skinner’s science of dental materials. 10th Ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1996.
7. John J, Gangadhar SA, Shah I. Flexural strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture resin reinforced with glass, aramid, or nylon fibers. J Prosthet Dent. 2001;86(4):424-7.
8. Gajwani-Jain S, Magdum D, Karagir A, Pharane P. Denture cleansers: A review. IOSR-JDMS. 2015;1(14):94-6.
9. Qasim SB, Al Kheraif AA, Ramakrishaniah R. An investigation into the impact and flexural strength of light cure denture resin reinforced with carbon nanotubes. World Appl Sci J. 2012;18(6):808-12.
10. Durkan R, AYAZ EA, Bagis B, Gurbuz A, Ozturk N, Korkmaz FM. Comparative effects of denture cleansers on physical properties of polyamide and polymethyl methacrylate base polymers. Dental Materials. 2013 May 30;32(3):367-75.
11. Raj N, D’souza M. Comparison of Transverse Strength of Denture Base Resin on Immersion for Varying Time Period in Water and Denture Cleansers–An In Vitro Study. Asian Journal of Oral Health and Allied Sciences. 2011;1(2):97-100.
12. Dagar SR, Pakhan AJ, Thombare RU, Motwani BK. The evaluation of flexural strength and impact strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture base resin reinforced with glass and nylon fibers: An in vitro study. J Indian Prosthodont Socy. 2008;8(2):98.
13. Dikbas I, Gurbuz O, Unalan F, Koksal T. Impact strength of denture polymethyl methacrylate reinforced with different forms of E-glass fibers. Acta odontologica scandinavica. 2013;71(3-4):727-32.
14. QADIR FA, Akram S. Impact strength of acrylic resins after storage in denture cleansers. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal. 2014;34(4): 335-38.
15. Neppelenbroek KH, Pavarina AC, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET. Hardness of heat-polymerized acrylic resins after disinfection and long-term water immersion. J prosthetic dentistry. 2005;93(2):171-6.
16. Ural C, Sanal FA, Cengiz S. Effect of different denture cleansers on surface roughness of denture base materials. Clin Dent Res. 2011;35(2):14-20.
17. Hamanaka I, Takahashi Y, Shimizu H. Mechanical properties of injection-molded thermoplastic denture base resins. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2011;69(2):75-9.
18. Gupta A, Tewari RK. Evaluation and comparison of transverse and impact strength of different high strength denture base resins. Indian J Dent Res. 2016;27(1):61-65
19. Kanie T, Fujii K, Arikawa H, Inoue K. Flexural properties and impact strength of denture base polymer reinforced with woven glass fibers. Dental Materials. 2000;16(2):150-8.
20. Singh K, Sharma SK, Negi P, Kumar M, Rajpurohit D, Khobre P. Comparative Evaluation of Flexural Strength of Heat Polymerised Denture Base Resins after Reinforcement with Glass Fibres and Nylon Fibres: An In vitro Study. Adv Hum Biol. 2016;6(2):91-94.
21. Kim SH, Watts DC. The effect of reinforcement with woven E-glass fibers on the impact strength of complete dentures fabricated with high-impact acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent. 2004 Mar 1;91(3):274-80.
22. JAIKUMAR R, Madhulika N, KUMAR RP, Vijayalakshmi K. Comparision of impact strength in three different types of denture base resins--an in-vitro study. Pak Oral Dent J. 2014;34(2).
23. Rodrigues SA, Nunez JP, Takahashi JM, Consani RL, Mesquita MF. Effect of chemical cleaning agents on the flexural strength of acrylic and hard denture line resins. General dentistry. 2013;61(4):1-4.
24. Peracini A, Davi LR, de Queiroz Ribeiro N, de Souza RF, da Silva CH, Paranhos HD. Effect of denture cleansers on physical properties of heat-polymerized acrylic resin. J Prosthodont Res. 2010;54(2):78-83.
25. Shah VR, Shah DN, Chauhan CJ, Doshi PJ, Kumar A. Evaluation of flexural strength and color stability of different denture base materials including flexible material after using different denture cleansers. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2015 Oct;15(4):367.
26. Arruda CN, Sorgini DB, Oliveira VD, Macedo AP, Lovato CH, Paranhos HD. Effects of denture cleansers on heat-polymerized acrylic resin: a five-year-simulated period of use. Braz Dent J. 2015;26(4):404-8.
27. Sharma P, Garg S, Kalra NM. Effect of denture cleansers on surface roughness and flexural strength of heat cure denture base resin-An in vitro study. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2017;11(8):ZC94.
28. Patel N. Why New Drugs, Treatments, and Medical Devices Still Needs to be Tested Clinically Before Making it Available in the Market? A Systematic Review. J Neurol Res Ther. 2019;3(1):1-5.
29. Patel N. Bridging the gap of translation research in public health - from research to real world. MOJ Public Health. 2018;7(6):347‒9.
30. Patel N, Patel N. Modern technology and its use as storytelling communication strategy in public health. MOJ Public Health. 2017;6(3):00171.
31. Shearston JA, Shah K, Cheng E, Moosvi R, Park SH, Patel N, Spielman AI, Weitzman ML. Dental, dental hygiene, and advanced dental students’ use, knowledge, and beliefs regarding tobacco products. J Dent Educ. 2017;81(11):1317-26.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms. © 2023.