Focus on periodontal engineering by 3D printing technology – A systematic review.
AbstractThree-dimensional (3D) bioprinting of cells is an emerging area of research but has not been explored yet in the context of periodontal tissue engineering. Objetive: This study reports on the optimization of the 3D bioprinting scaffolds and tissues used that could be applied clinically to seniors for the regenerative purpose to meet individual patient treatment needs. Material and Methods: We methodically explored the printability of various tissues (dentin pulp stem/progenitor cells, periodontal ligament stem/progenitor cells, alveolar bone stem/progenitor cells, advanced platelet-rich fibrin and injected platelet-rich fibrin) and scaffolds using 3D printers pertaining only to periodontal defects. The influence of different printing parameters with the help of scaffold to promote periodontal regeneration and to replace the lost structure has been evaluated. Results: This systematic evaluation enabled the selection of the most suited printing conditions for achieving high printing resolution, dimensional stability, and cell viability for 3D bioprinting of periodontal ligament cells. Conclusion: The optimized bioprinting system is the first step towards the reproducible manufacturing of cell laden, space maintaining scaffolds for the treatment of periodontal lesions.
2. Moroni L, de Wijn JR, van Blitterswijk C. 3D fiber deposited scaffolds for tissue engineering: influence of pores geometry and architecture on dynamic mechanical properties. Biomaterials. 2006;27 (7):974-85.
3. Knowlton S, Onal S, Yu CH, Zhao JJ, Tasoglu S. Bioprinting for cancer research. Trends Biotechnol. 2015; 33:504–13.
4. Obregon F, Vaquette C, Ivanovski S, Hutmacher DW, Bertassoni LE. Three-dimensional bioprinting for regenerative dentistry and cranio facial tissue engineering. Journal of Dental Research. 2015;94(9):143s–152S.
5. Rasperini G, Pilipchuk SP, Flanagan CL, Park CH, Pagni G, Hollister SJ, Giannobile WV. 3D-printed Bioresorbable Scaffold for Periodontal Repair. J Dent Res. 2015;94(9 Suppl):153S-7S.
6. Visscher DO, Farré-Guasch E, Helder MN, Gibbs S, Forouzanfar T, van Zuijlen PP et al. Advances in bioprinting technologies for craniofacial reconstruction. Trends Biotechnol 2016; 34:700–10.
7. Ligon SC, Liska R, Stampfl J, Gurr M, Mülhaupt R. Polymers for 3D printing and customized additive manufacturing. Chem Rev. 2017;117:10212–90.
8. Hung K.C, Tseng CS, Dai L.-G, Hsu S. Water-based polyurethane 3D printed scaffolds with controlled release function for customized cartilage tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2016; 83:156–68.
9. Eke PI, Borgnakke WS, Genco RJ. Recent epidemiologic trends in periodontitis in the USA. Periodontol 2000. 2020; 82(1): 257-267.
10. Ivanovski S, Vaquette C, Gronthos S, Hutmacher DW, Bartold PM. Multiphasic scaffolds for periodontal tissue Engineering. J Dent Res. 2014;93(12):1212-21.
11. Larsson L, Decker AM, Nibali L, Pilipchuk SP, Berglundh T, Giannobile WV. Regenerative medicine for periodontal and periimplant diseases. J Dent Res. 2016; 95, 255–66.
12. Bhavsar AK, Parween S, Karthikeyan BV, Prabhuji MLV. Critical Issues in periodontal Regeneration. A Review. J Oral Health Dent. 2018;(2): 2:1-8.
13. Xu XY, Li X, Wang J, He XT, Sun HH, Chen FM. Concise review: Periodontal tissue regeneration using stem cells: Strategies and translational considerations. Stem Cells Transl. Med. 2018;8:392–403.
14. Chaudhari A, Borse H, Mali A, Agrawal P, Landge N, Khadtare Y. Guide the tissues for periodontal regeneration (gtr): A review. Int J Curr Res. 2017;9:59269–78.
15. Sheikh Z, Hamdan N, Ikeda Y, Grynpas M, Ganss B, Glogauer M. Natural graft tissues and synthetic biomaterials for periodontal and alveolar bone reconstructive applications: A review. Biomater Res. 2017; 21:9.
16. Obregon F, Vaquette C, Ivanovski S, Hutmacher DW, Bertassoni LE. Three-Dimensional Bioprinting for Regenerative Dentistry and Craniofacial Tissue Engineering. J Dent Res. 2015;94(9):143S-52S.
17. Asaad F, Pagni G, Pilipchuk SP, Giannì AB, Giannobile WV, Rasperini G. 3D-Printed Scaffolds and Biomaterials: Review of Alveolar Bone Augmentation and Periodontal Regeneration Applications. Int J Dent. 2016;1239842:1-15.
18. Lee CH, Hajibandeh J, Suzuki T, Fan A, Shang P, Mao JJ. Three dimensional printed multiphase scaffolds for regeneration of periodontium complex. Tissue Eng Part A 2014; 20:1342-51.
19. Ma Y, Ji Y, Huang G, Ling K, Zhang X, Xu F. Bioprinting 3D cell-laden hydrogel microarray for screening human periodontal ligament stem cell response to extracellular matrix. Biofabrication 2015;22:7(4):044105.
20. Pilipchuk SP, Monje A, Jiao Y,Hao J, Kruger L, Flanagan CLet al. Integration of 3D Printed and Micropatterned Polycaprolactone Scaffolds for Guidance of Oriented Collagenous Tissue Formation In Vivo. Adv Healthc Mater 2016;5(6):676–687.
21. Peng C, Zheng J, Chen D, Zhang X, Deng L, Chen Z et al. Response of hPDLSCs on 3D printed PCL/PLGA composite scaffolds in vitro. Mol Med Rep. 2018;18(2):1335-1344.
22. Park CH, Kim KH, Rios HF, Lee YM, Giannobile WV, Seol YJ. Spatiotemporally controlled microchannels of periodontal mimic scaffolds. J Dent Res. 2014 Dec;93(12):1304-12.
23. Goh BT, Teh LY, Tan DB, Zhang Z, Teoh SH. Novel 3D polycaprolactone scaffold for ridge preservation-a pilot randomized controlled clinical trial. Clin Oral Implants Res 2015;26(3):271-7.
24. Tayebi L, Rasoulianboroujeni M, Moharamzadeh K, Almela TKD, Cui Z, Ye H. 3D-printed membrane for guided tissue regeneration. Materials Science and Engineering 2018;84:148-158.
25. Venet L, Perriat M, Mangano FG, Fortin T. Horizontal ridge reconstruction of the anterior maxilla using customized allogeneic bone blocks with a minimally invasive technique - a case series. BMC Oral Health 2017;8;17(1):146.
26. Lei L, Yu Y, Ke T, Sun W, Chen L. The Application of Three-Dimensional Printing Model and Platelet-Rich Fibrin Technology in Guided Tissue Regeneration Surgery for Severe Bone Defects. J Oral Implantol 2019;45(1):35-43.
27. Park CH, Rios HF, Jin Q, Bland ME, Flanagan CL, Hollister SJ, Giannobile WV. Biomimetic hybrid scaffolds for engineering human tooth-ligament interfaces. Biomaterials. 2010 Aug;31(23):5945-52.
28. Park CH, Rios HF, Jin Q, Sugai JV, Padial-Molina M, Taut AD, Flanagan CL, Hollister SJ, Giannobile WV. Tissue engineering bone-ligament complexes using fiber-guiding scaffolds. Biomaterials. 2012;33(1):137-45.
29. Pati F, Song TH, Rijal G, Jang J, Kim SW, Cho DW. Ornamenting 3D printed scaffolds with cell-laid extracellular matrix for bone tissue regeneration. Biomaterials 2015; 37:230-41.
30. Park CH, Rios HF, Taut AD, Padial-Molina M, Flanagan CL, Pilipchuk SP, Hollister SJ, Giannobile WV. Image-based, fiber guiding scaffolds: a platform for regenerating tissue interfaces. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2014;20(7):533-42.
31. Inzana JA, Olvera D, Fuller SM, Kelly JP, Graeve OA, Schwarz EM, Kates SL, Awad HA. 3D printing of composite calcium phosphate and collagen scaffolds for bone regeneration. Biomaterials. 2014;35(13):4026-34.
32. Carrel JP, Wiskott A, Moussa M, Rieder P, Scherrer S, Durual S. A 3D printed TCP/HA structure as a new osteoconductive scaffold for vertical bone augmentation. Clin Oral Implants Res 2016;27(1):55-62.
33. Lee JW, Chu SG, Kim HT, Choi KY, Oh EJ, Shim JH, Yun WS, Huh JB, Moon SH, Kang SS, Chung HY. Osteogenesis of Adipose-Derived and Bone Marrow Stem Cells with Polycaprolactone/Tricalcium Phosphate and Three-Dimensional Printing Technology in a Dog Model of Maxillary Bone Defects. Polymers (Basel). 2017;9(9):450.
34. Li J, Chen M, Wei X, Hao, Wang J. Evaluation of 3D-printed polycaprolactone scaffolds coated with freeze-dried platelet-rich plasma for bone regeneration. Materials 2017;10(7):831.
35. Diomede F, Gugliandolo A, Cardelli P, Merciaro I, Ettorre V, Traini T et al. Three-dimensional printed PLA scaffold and human gingival stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles: a new tool for bone defect repair. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2018; 13:9(1):104.
36. Carter SSD, Costa PF, Vaquette C, Ivanovski S, Hutmacher DW, Malda, J. Additive biomanufacturing: an advanced approach for periodontal tissue regeneration. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 2017;45:12–22.
37. Rider P, Kacarevic ZP, Alkildani S, Retnasingh S, Schnettler R, Barbeck M. Additive Manufacturing for Guided Bone Regeneration: A Perspective for Alveolar Ridge Augmentation. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(11):3308.
38. Oberoi G, Nitsch S, Edelmayer M, Janjic K, Muller A.S, Agis H. 3D printing-encompassing the facets of dentistry. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 2018;6:172.
39. Seunarine K, Gadegaard N, Tonnen M, Meredith DO, Riehle MO, Wilkinson CDW. 3D polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering. Nanomedicine 2006;1(3):281–296.
40. Ivanovski S, Vaquette C, Gronthos S, Hutmacher DW, Bartold PM. Multiphasic scaffolds for periodontal tissue engineering. J Dent Res. 2014;93(12):1212-21.
41. Obregon F, Vaquette C, Ivanovski S, Hutmacher DW, Bertassoni LE. Three-Dimensional Bioprinting for Regenerative Dentistry and Craniofacial Tissue Engineering. J Dent Res. 2015;94(9 Suppl):143S-52S.
42. Raju R, Oshima M, Inoue M, Morita T, Huijiao Y, Waskitho A, Baba O, Inoue M, Matsuka Y. Three-dimensional periodontal tissue regeneration using a bone-ligament complex cell sheet. Sci Rep. 2020;10(1):1656.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.