Association of serum level of 25-hydroxy vitamin D with Oral Lichen Planus. A case-control study.
AbstractIntroduction: Vitamin D deficiency is a global health problem that can be a risk factor for a broad range of diseases such as some autoimmune diseases. Due to the autoimmune base of lichen planus, it seems that a reduction of the serum level of vitamin D is related to lichen planus. In this study, we investigate the relation between serum level of vitamin D and oral lichen planus patients (OLP). Material and Methods: In this case-control study, 35 patients with OLP (including 15 men and 20 women) and 70 healthy volunteers (including 35 men and 35 women), aged between 30-60 years old, referred to Qazvin University of Medical Sciences were investigated. None of these volunteers had systemic diseases. Vitamin D levels were measured with ELFA (Enzyme Linked Fluorescent Assay) and the data was analyzed using the chi-squared test and t-test. Results: The mean serum level of vitamin D in the control group was 23.7±9ng/ml and in the case group was 18.12±8/7ng/ml. The results show that the serum level of vitamin D in patients with OLP is significantly less than in the control group (p<0.05). Conclusion: According to the results, the serum level of vitamin D in patients with OLP was significantly lower than that of healthy people.
2. Scully C, Carrozzo M. Oral mucosal disease: Lichen planus. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;46(1):15-21.
3. Ismail SB, Kumar SK, Zain RB. Oral lichen planus and lichenoid reactions: etiopathogenesis, diagnosis, management and malignant transformation. J Oral Sci. 2007;49(2):89-106.
4. Farhi D, Dupin N. Pathophysiology, etiologic factors, and clinical management of oral lichen planus, part I: facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol. 2010;28(1):100-8.
5. Montebugnoli L, Venturi M, Gissi DB, Leonardi E, Farnedi A, Foschini MP. Immunohistochemical expression of p16 (INK4A) protein in oral lichen planus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011;112(2):222-7.
6. Scully C, Beyli M, Ferreiro MC, Ficarra G, Gill Y, Griffiths M, et al. Update on oral lichen planus: etiopathogenesis and management. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1998;9(1):86-122.
7. Lavanya N, Jayanthi P, Rao UK, Ranganathan K. Oral lichen planus: An update on pathogenesis and treatment. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2011;15(2):127-32.
8. Fillies T, Werkmeister R, van Diest PJ, Brandt B, Joos U, Buerger H. HIF1-alpha overexpression indicates a good prognosis in early stage squamous cell carcinomas of the oral floor. BMC Cancer. 2005;5:84.
9. Gholizadeh N, Mehdipour M, Najafi Sh, Bahramian A, Garjani Sh, Khoeini Poorfar H. Evaluation of the serum zinc level in erosive and non-erosive oral lichen planus. J Dent (Shiraz). 2014;15(2):52-6.
10. Sahebjamee M, Beitollahi JM, Mansourian A, Shahsavari N, Shabestari SB. Assessment of serum vitamin B12 and folic acid in patients with oral lichen planus: a case control study. J Dent. 2010;10:36-9.
11. D'Aurizio F, Villalta D, Metus P, Doretto P, Tozzoli R. Is vitamin D a player or not in the pathophysiology of autoimmune thyroid diseases? Autoimmun Rev. 2015;14(5):363-9.
12. Deschasaux M, Souberbielle JC, Partula V, Lécuyer L, Gonzalez R, Srour B, Guinot C, Malvy D, Latino-Martel P, Druesne-Pecollo N, Galan P, Hercberg S, Kesse-Guyot E, Fassier P, Ezzedine K, Touvier M. What Do People Know and Believe about Vitamin D? Nutrients. 2016;8(11):718.
13. Goodman S, Morrongiello B, Meckling K. A randomized, controlled trial evaluating the efficacy of an online intervention targeting vitamin D intake, knowledge and status among young adults. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13(1):116.
14. Oh J, Choi R, Park HD, Lee H, Jeong BH, Park HY, Jeon K, Kwon OJ, Koh WJ, Lee SY. Evaluation of vitamin status in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. J Infect. 2017;74(3):272-280.
15. Hashemipour S, Ziaee A, Javadi A, Movahed F, Elmizadeh K, Javadi EH, Lalooha F. Effect of treatment of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency during pregnancy on fetal growth indices and maternal weight gain: a randomized clinical trial. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2014;172:15-9.
16. Dickerson RN, Van Cleve JR, Swanson JM, Maish GO 3rd, Minard G, Croce MA, Brown RO. Vitamin D deficiency in critically ill patients with traumatic injuries. Burns Trauma. 2016;4:28.
17. Jackson JL, Judd SE, Panwar B, Howard VJ, Wadley VG, Jenny NS, Gutiérrez OM. Associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D with markers of inflammation, insulin resistance and obesity in black and white community-dwelling adults. J Clin Transl Endocrinol. 2016;5:21-5.
18. Pérez-Hernández N, Aptilon-Duque G, Nostroza-Hernández MC, Vargas-Alarcón G, Rodríguez-Pérez JM, Blachman-Braun R. Vitamin D and its effects on cardiovascular diseases: a comprehensive review. Korean J Intern Med. 2016;31(6):1018-29.
19. Rees JR, Mott LA, Barry EL, Baron JA, Bostick RM, Figueiredo JC, Bresalier RS, Robertson DJ, Peacock JL. Lifestyle and Other Factors Explain One-Half of the Variability in the Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Response to Cholecalciferol Supplementation in Healthy Adults. J Nutr. 2016;146(11):2312-24.
20. Raab J, Giannopoulou EZ, Schneider S, Warncke K, Krasmann M, Winkler C, Ziegler AG. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in pre-type 1 diabetes and its association with disease progression. Diabetologia. 2014;57(5):902-8.
21. Thum-Tyzo K, Petkowicz B, Tyzo B, Pedowska M, Dziedzic M. OI0378 Vitamin D3 and oral health in patients with lichen planus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2014;117(5):e385.
22. Beena Varma R, Valappila NJ, Pai A, Channavir Saddu S, Mathew N. Oral Lichen Planus: Is Vitamin D Defi ciency a Predisposing Factor? A Case Report. Int J Sci c Study. 2014;2(7).
23. Holick MF, Chen TC. Vitamin D deficiency: a worldwide problem with health consequences. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87(4):1080s-6s.
24. Chirumbolo S, Bjørklund G, Sboarina A, Vella A. The Role of Vitamin D in the Immune System as a Pro-survival Molecule. Clin Ther. 2017;39(5):894-916.
25. Gupta A, Mohan RPS, Kamarthi N, Malik S, Goel S, Gupta S. Serum Vitamin D Level in Oral Lichen Planus Patients of North India- A Case-Control Study. Journal of Dermatological Research and Therapy. 2017;1(3):1-17.
26. Altieri B, Muscogiuri G, Barrea L, Mathieu C, Vallone CV, Mascitelli L, Bizzaro G, Altieri VM, Tirabassi G, Balercia G, Savastano S, Bizzaro N, Ronchi CL, Colao A, Pontecorvi A, Della Casa S. Does vitamin D play a role in autoimmune endocrine disorders? A proof of concept. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2017;18(3):335-46.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.