Pain Experience with Micro-osteoperforations during Initial Orthodontic Alignment: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
AbstractObjetive: The objective of this clinical trial was to investigate the perception of pain during initial maxillary alignment with an adjunctive procedure of micro-osteoperforations (MOPs) compared to conventional orthodontics. Material and methods: This study design was a single-centre, two-arm parallel prospective randomised clinical trial. Thirty consecutive adult subjects (25 females and 5 males; mean age ± SD, 22.66 ± 3.27 years) with 5-8mm moderate upper labial segment crowding were randomly allocated using block randomisation into intervention and control group. All subjects had first premolar extractions, bonded conventional fixed appliances and 0.014-inch nickel-titanium archwire was placed for initial alignment. The intervention group received a 3-mm deep MOPs procedure under local anaesthesia using a Propel device (PROPEL Ortho Singapore) on the labiogingival aspect between the maxillary incisors. Both groups received a set of 100 mm visual analogue scale to complete over the first week, recording pain at 24 hours, 3 days and 1 week. Data were analysed using repeated-measures analysis of variance (ANOVA). Results: There was a statistically significant difference observed in perceived pain levels between MOPs and the control group on day 1, day 3 and day 7 postoperatively. Pain perception was significantly lower in the intervention group at all time points. Conclusion: Accelerating orthodontic tooth movement with MOPs did not accentuate pain perceived during initial maxillary alignment with fixed appliances.
2. Jawaid M, Qadeer TA, Fahim MF. Pain perception of orthodontic treatment–A cross-sectional study. Pak J Med Sci.2020;36(2)
3. Wiedel A-P, Bondemark L. A randomized controlled trial of self-perceived pain, discomfort, and impairment of jaw function in children undergoing orthodontic treatment with fixed or removable appliances. Angle Orthod.2016;86(2):324-30.
4. JoySon M, JaIganeSh I, ShaRanya R, Vignesh KC. Esti-mation of total time duration and comfort equation of three different appliances used to manage the condition of single tooth developing anterior crossbite in children. J Clin Diagn Res.2018;12:ZC05-ZC9.
5. Cardoso PC, Espinosa DG, Mecenas P, Flores-Mir C, Normando D. Pain level between clear aligners and fixed appliances: a systematic review. Prog Orthod.2020;21(1):3.
6. Abdelrahman RS, Al-Nimri KS, Al Maaitah EF. Pain experience during initial alignment with three types of nickel-titanium archwires: A prospective clinical trial. Angle Orthod.2015;85(6):1021-6.
7. Uribe F, Davoody L, Mehr R, Jayaratne YSN, Almas K, Sobue T, Allareddy V, Nanda R. Efficiency of piezotome-corticision assisted orthodontics in alleviating mandibular anterior crowding-a randomized clinical trial. Eur J Orthod. 2017;39(6):595-600.
8. Alikhani M, Raptis M, Zoldan B, Sangsuwon C, Lee YB, Alyami B, Corpodian C, Barrera LM, Alansari S, Khoo E. Effect of micro-osteoperforations on the rate of tooth movement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop.2013;144(5):639-48.
9. Patterson BM, Dalci O, Darendeliler MA, Papadopoulou AK. Corticotomies and orthodontic tooth movement: a systematic review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2016;74(3):453-73.
10. Gil A, Haas Jr O, Méndez-Manjón I, Masiá-Gridilla J, Valls-Ontañón A, Hernández-Alfaro F, Guijarro-Martínez R. Alveolar corticotomies for accelerated orthodontics: A systematic review. J Cranio Maxill Surg.2018;46(3):438-45.
11. Sivarajan S, Doss JG, Papageorgiou SN, Cobourne MT, Wey MC. Mini-implant supported canine retraction with micro-osteoperforation: A split-mouth exploratory randomized clinical trial. Angle Orthod.2018;89:183-9.
12. Attri S, Mittal R, Batra P, Sonar S, Sharma K, Raghavan S, Rai KS. Comparison of rate of tooth movement and pain perception during accelerated tooth movement associated with conventional fixed appliances with micro-osteoperforations–a randomised controlled trial. J Orthod.2018;45(4):225-33.
13. Alkebsi A, Al-Maaitah E, Al-Shorman H, Alhaija EA. Three-dimensional assessment of the effect of micro-osteoperforations on the rate of tooth movement during canine retraction in adults with Class II malocclusion: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop.2018;153(6):771-85.
14. Shahabee M, Shafaee H, Abtahi M, Rangrazi A, Bardideh E. Effect of micro-osteoperforation on the rate of orthodontic tooth movement—a systematic review and a meta-analysis. Eur J Orthod.2019:1-11.
15. Fu T, Liu S, Zhao H, Cao M, Zhang R. Effectiveness and Safety of Minimally Invasive Orthodontic Tooth Movement Acceleration: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Dent Res.2019;98(13):1469-79.
16. Miles P, Fisher E. Assessment of the changes in arch perimeter and irregularity in the mandibular arch during initial alignment with the AcceleDent Aura appliance vs no appliance in adolescents: a single-blind randomized clinical trial. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop.2016;150(6):928-36.
17. Moher D, Hopewell S, Schulz KF, Montori V, Gøtzsche PC, Devereaux P, Elbourne D, Egger M, Altman DG. CONSORT 2010 explanation and elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials. Bmj.2010;340:c869.
18. Reddy RK, Katari PK, Bypureddy TT, Anumolu VNSH, Kartheek Y, Sairam NR. Forces in initial archwires during leveling and aligning: An in-vitro study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent.2016;6(5):410.
19. Mahmoudzadeh M, Farhadian M, Alijani S, Azizi F. Clinical comparison of two initial arch wires (A-NiTi and Heat Activated NiTi) for amount of tooth alignment and perception of pain: A randomized clinical trial. Int Orthod.2018;16(1):60-72.
13. Campos LA, Santos-Pinto A, Marôco J, Campos JADB. Pain perception in orthodontic patients: A model considering psychosocial and behavioural aspects. Orthod Craniofac Res.2019;22(3):213-21.
21. Burstone CJ. The biomechanics of tooth movement. Vistas in orthodontics.1962:197-213.
22. Almasoud NN. Pain perception among patients treated with passive self-ligating fixed appliances and Invisalign® aligners during the first week of orthodontic treatment. Korean J Orthod.2018;48(5):326-32.
23. Alfawal AM, Hajeer MY, Ajaj MA, Hamadah O, Brad B. Effectiveness of minimally invasive surgical procedures in the acceleration of tooth movement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Prog Orthod.2016;17(1):33.
24. Vercellotti T, Podesta A. Orthodontic microsurgery: a new surgically guided technique for dental movement. Int J Periodont Rest.2007;27(4)
25. Melzack R, Wall PD. Pain mechanisms: a new theory. Science.1965;150(3699):971-9.
26. Frost H. The regional acceleratory phenomenon: a review. Henry Ford Hosp Med J.1983;31(1):3.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.