Knowledge and awareness level of Syrian dentists towards Novel Coronavirus pandemic: Cross-sectional study.
AbstractObjetive: An outbreak of a novel and alarmingly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was announced in China in December 2019, which later affected about 180 countries worldwide. Thus, this study aims to assess the awareness and attitude of dentists towards COVID-19 in Syria. Materials and Methods: The questionnaire was an online survey; it contained 19 questions formulated based on the information given by WHO and CDC for COVID-19. Study participants were dentists practicing in Syria. The questionnaire was translated into Arabic and published on the internet into multiple platforms. Results: 7233 dentists responded to the questionnaire; 64% of the participants were females. The majority of the respondents were general practitioner (78%), nearly half of the respondents had been practicing dentistry for at least 2-4 years (51%). The majority of the respondents has knowledge about COVID-19 and was aware it is contagious. Over half of the Syrian dentists received their information about COVID-19 from social media platforms (55%). Even though the majority of the dentists were aware that the incubation period could last up to 14 days, nearly half of the participants were not aware that symptomless patients can spread the virus (49%). Conclusions: Syrian dental practitioners were aware of COVID-19 definition, incubation period and prevention measures in the dental clinic. However, they had limited attitude regarding COVID-19 symptoms, mode of transmission and management.
2. Bischof E, Chen G, Ferretti MT. Understanding COVID-19 new diagnostic guidelines - a message of reassurance from an internal medicine doctor in Shanghai. Swiss Med Wkly. 2020;150:w20216.
3. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, Ren R, Leung KSM, Lau EHY, Wong JY, Xing X, Xiang N, Wu Y, Li C, Chen Q, Li D, Liu T, Zhao J, Liu M, Tu W, Chen C, Jin L, Yang R, Wang Q, Zhou S, Wang R, Liu H, Luo Y, Liu Y, Shao G, Li H, Tao Z, Yang Y, Deng Z, Liu B, Ma Z, Zhang Y, Shi G, Lam TTY, Wu JT, Gao GF, Cowling BJ, Yang B, Leung GM, Feng Z. Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, China, of Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020 Mar 26;382(13):1199-1207.
4. Baud D, Qi X, Nielsen-Saines K, Musso D, Pomar L, Favre G. Real estimates of mortality following COVID-19 infection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(7):773.
5. Mahase E . Covid-19: WHO declares pandemic because of "alarming levels" of spread, severity, and inaction. BMJ 2020;368 :m1036.
6. Sohrabi C, Alsafi Z, O'Neill N, Khan M, Kerwan A, Al-Jabir A, Iosifidis C, Agha R. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Int J Surg. 2020;76:71-6.
7. Yang W, Cao Q, Qin L, Wang X, Cheng Z, Pan A, Dai J, Sun Q, Zhao F, Qu J, Yan F. Clinical characteristics and imaging manifestations of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19):A multi-center study in Wenzhou city, Zhejiang, China. J Infect. 2020;80(4):388-93.
8. Fang Y, Nie Y, Penny M. Transmission dynamics of the COVID-19 outbreak and effectiveness of government interventions: A data-driven analysis. J Med Virol. 2020 Jun;92(6):645-59.
9. Lai S, Bogoch I, Ruktanonchai N, Watts A, Lu X, Yang W, Yu H, Khan K, Tatem AJ. Assessing spread risk of Wuhan novel coronavirus within and beyond China, January-April 2020: a travel network-based modelling study. medRxiv [Preprint]. 2020.
10. Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, Azman AS, Reich NG, Lessler J. The Incubation Period of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) From Publicly Reported Confirmed Cases: Estimation and Application. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172(9):577-82.
11. Khurshid Z, Asiri FYI, Al Wadaani H. Human Saliva: Non-Invasive Fluid for Detecting Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(7):2225.
12. Hamid H, Khurshid Z, Adanir N, Zafar MS, Zohaib S. COVID-19 Pandemic and Role of Human Saliva as a Testing Biofluid in Point-of-Care Technology. Eur J Dent. 2020;1-7.
13. Parmet WE, Sinha MS. Covid-19 — The Law and Limits of Quarantine. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:e28.
14. Peng X , Xu X, Li Y,Cheng L , Zhou X, Ren B . Transmission routes of 2019-nCoV and controls in dental practice. Int J Oral Sci. 2020; 12(9):1-6.
15. Sabino-Silva R, Jardim ACG, Siqueira WL. Coronavirus COVID-19 impacts to dentistry and potential salivary diagnosis. Clin Oral Investig. 2020;24(4):1619-21.
16. Khader Y, Al Nsour M, Al-Batayneh OB, Saadeh R, Bashier H, Alfaqih M, Al-Azzam S, AlShurman BA. Dentists' Awareness, Perception, and Attitude Regarding COVID-19 and Infection Control: Cross-Sectional Study Among Jordanian Dentists. JMIR Public Health Surveill. 2020;6(2):e18798.
17. Quadri, Mir. (2020). Novel corona virus disease (COVID-19) awareness among the dental interns, dental auxiliaries and dental specialists in Saudi Arabia: A nationwide study. Journal of Infection and Public Health. 13. 10.1016/j.jiph.2020.05.010.
18. Ventola CL. Social media and health care professionals: benefits, risks, and best practices. P T. 2014;39(7):491-520.
19. Depoux A, Martin S, Karafillakis E, Preet R, Wilder-Smith A, Larson H. The pandemic of social media panic travels faster than the COVID-19 outbreak. J Travel Med. 2020;27(3):taaa031.
20. CDC. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). HEALTHCARE WORKERS. Interim Clinical Guidance for Management of Patients with Confirmed Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). 2020. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html
21. WHO. Coronavirus.2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1
22. Baud D, Qi X, Nielsen-Saines K, Musso D, Pomar L, Favre G. Real estimates of mortality following COVID-19 infection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(7):773.
23. Cascella M, Rajnik M, Cuomo A, Dulebohn SC, Di Napoli R. Features, Evaluation and Treatment Coronavirus (COVID-19). StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020.
24. World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) technical guidance: Patient management. 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/patient-management.
25. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) . CDC Releases Interim Reopening Guidance for Dental Settings. USA. 2020. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/statement-COVID.html.
26. Kariwa H, Fujii N, Takashima I. Inactivation of SARS coronavirus by means of povidone-iodine, physical conditions, and chemical reagents. Jpn J Vet Res. 2004;52(3):105-12.
27. Eggers M, Koburger-Janssen T, Eickmann M, Zorn J. In Vitro Bactericidal and Virucidal Efficacy of Povidone-Iodine Gargle/Mouthwash Against Respiratory and Oral Tract Pathogens. Infect Dis Ther. 2018;7(2):249-59.
28. Meng L, Hua F, Bian Z. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Emerging and Future Challenges for Dental and Oral Medicine. J Dent Res. 2020;99(5):481-7.
29. American Dental Association. ADA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Center for Dentists. 2020.
30. Kochlamazashvili M, Kamkamidze G, McNutt LA, DeHovitz J, Chubinishvili O, Butsashvili M. Knowledge, attitudes and practice survey on blood-borne diseases among dental health care workers in Georgia. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2018;12(10):864-70.
31. Ahmed MA, Jouhar R, Ahmed N, Adnan S, Aftab M, Zafar MS, Khurshid Z. Fear and Practice Modifications among Dentists to Combat Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(8):2821.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.