Pleomorphic adenoma of the hard palate with calcifications: an unusual presentation.
AbstractPleomorphic Adenoma (PA) is the most common benign salivary gland tumor. The most common sites for minor salivary gland from which PA arises are the palate followed by the lips and buccal mucosa. Calcifications are a common finding in major salivary glands with chronic inflammatory disorders. Major salivary gland tumors rarely show calcifications and it is less common to find them in minor salivary gland tumors. We report a case of pleomorphic adenoma of the hard palate in a 67-year-old female patient with intra-tumoral, irregular and scattered calcifications visible on computed tomography (CT). The treatment was complete surgical excision of the lesion. The diagnosis was confirmed with the histopathological study.
2. Chaturvedi M, Jaidev A, Thaddanee R, Khilnani A. Large Pleomorphic Ade-noma of hard palate. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2018;8(1):124–6.
3. El-Naggar A, Grandis J, Takata T, Slootweg P. WHO Classification of Head and Neck. 4th Ed. IARC, Lyon; 2017.
4. Passi D, Ram H, Ranjan S, Laxman D, Malkunje R. Pleomorphic Adenoma of Soft Palate: Unusual Occurrence of the Major Tumor in Minor Salivary Gland — A Case Report and Literature Review. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2017;16(4):500–5.
5. Figueiredo NR, Dinkar AD, Meena M. Pleomorphic adenoma of the hard palate : Report of a case Pleomorphic adenoma of the hard palate : Report of a case. Int J Med Dent. 2015;1–3.
6. Alves V, Pérez-de-Oliveira M, de Castro J, Vieira L, Leão J, Perez D. Intrao-ral Pleomorphic Adenoma in Young Patients. J Craniofac Surg. 2018; 29 (2): 209-211.
7. Pereira T, Shetty S. Pleomorphic adenoma of palate with predominant chon-droid tissue: A rarity. J Cancer Res Ther. 2018;14(2):476–7.
8. Yoon JH, Ahn SG, Kim SG, Calcifications JK. Calcifications in a clear cell mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the hard palate. 2005;927–9.
9. Ananthaneni A, Ponnapalli H, Kiresur M, Krishna Chaitanya S. Mucoepider-moid carcinoma involving the palate with lamellated calcifications: A notable finding. Eur J Gen Dent. 2016;5(1):35.
10. Kakimoto N, Gamoh S, Tamaki J, Kishino M, Murakami S, Furukawa S. CT and MR images of pleomorphic adenoma in major and minor salivary glands. 2009;69:464–72.
11. Kaneda T, Minami M, Ozawa K, Akimoto Y, Okada M, Yamamoto H, et al. Imaging tumors of the minor salivary glands. Oral Surgery, Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1994;78(3):385–90.
12. Kim H, Kim SY, Kim YJ, Ko J mun, Park MJ, Kim JH, Hah JH, Kwon TK, Kim KH, Sung MW. Correlation be-tween computed tomography imaging and histopathology in pleomorphic ade-noma of parotid gland. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2018;45(4):783–90.
13. El-Atta M, Amer T, Gaballa G, El-Sayed N. Multi-phasic CT versus dynamic contrast enhanced MRI in characterization of parotid gland tumors. Egypt J Radiol Nucl Med. 2016;47(4):1361–72.
14. Farid MM, Mohamed W. Intra-tumoral salivary gland calcificaction: a systematic review. Egypt Dent J. 2016;61(4):4936–5204.
15. Rousseau A, Badoual C. Head and neck: Salivary gland tumors: an overview. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. 2011;15(6):533–41.
16. Rawson K, Kallalli B, Gokul K, Singh A. Pleomorphic adenoma of the palate: A case report and review of a rare entity. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol. 2016;28(3):329.
17. Arumugam P, Christopher P, Kumar S, et al. Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Palate: A Case Report. Cureus. 2019; 11 (3): e4308.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.