Complete enucleation surgical treatment and histological analysis of a mucocele in lower lip in a child: Case Report.
AbstractObjective: The aim of this case report is to describe the surgical removal of a mucocele and its histological analysis, in a child. Case Report: An 11-year-old female patient attended the Pediatric Dentistry clinic complaining of a lower lip lesion. During the anamnesis, the mother reported that the child had a habit of biting and sucking the spot frequently. Clinical examination showed the lesion was compatible with a mucocele. The proposed treatment was a complete enucleation of the lesion under local anesthesia. The incision and tissue divulsion were performed for maximum preservation of the mucosa, avoiding a possible recurrence. Total adjacent glands removal was also performed. The lesion was placed in 10% formaldehyde for histopathological analysis (H&E Staining), which showed dense connective tissue presenting chronic inflammatory infiltrate and extravasated mucin, presence of granulation tissue delimiting the area of extravasated mucin and presence of minor salivary glands. The patient was advised to quit the habit, and after seven days the sutures were removed. At the one-year follow-up there was no recurrence of the lesion. Conclusion: The proposed treatment proved to be effective without recurrence of the lesion.
2. Bhargava N, Agarwal P, Sharma N, Agrawal M, Sidiq M, Narain P. An unusual presentation of oral mucocele in infant and its review. Case Rep Dent. 2014;2014:723130.
3. Chaitanya P, Praveen D, Reddy M (2017) Mucocele on Lower Lip: A Case Series. Indian Dermatol Online J 8:205-207.
4. Dent CD, Svirsky JA, Kenny KF. Large mucous retention phenomenon (mucocele) of the upper lip. Case report and review of the literature. Va Dent.1997;J74:8-9.
5. Rashid A, Anwar N, Azizah A, K N. Cases of mucocele treated in the Dental Department of Penang Hospital. Arch Orofac Sci.2008;3:7-10.
6. Nico MM, Park JH, Lourenco SV. Mucocele in pediatric patients: analysis of 36 children. Pediatr Dermatol ;5:308-311.
7. Alves LA, Di Nicolo R, Ramos CJ, Shintome L, Barbosa CS. Retention mucocele on the lower lip associated with inadequate use of pacifier. Dermatol Online. 2010;J 16:9.
8. Ashok Kumar S, Ramakrishnan M. Mucocele in lower lip as a result of improper use of feeding bottle: a case report. Case Rep Dent. 2013;2013:520425.
9. Wang WC, Lin LM, Shen YH, Lin YJ, Chen YK. Concurrent extravasation mucocele and epidermoid cyst of the lower lip: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2005;21:475-9.
10. Mustapha IZ, Boucree SA, Jr. Mucocele of the upper lip: case report of an uncommon presentation and its differential diagnosis. J Can Dent Assoc.2004;70:318-21.
11. Vitale MC, Sfondrini MF, Croci GA, Paulli M, Carbone L, Gandini P, Scribante A. Diode Laser-Assisted Surgical Therapy for Early Treatment of Oral Mucocele in a Newborn Patient: Case Report and Procedures Checklist. Case Rep Dent. 2018; 2018:3048429.
12. Agarwal G, Mehra A, Agarwal A (2013) Laser vaporization of extravasation type of mucocele of the lower lip with 940-nm diode laser. Indian J Dent Res 24:278.
13. Giraddi GB, Saifi AM. Micro-marsupialization versus surgical excision for the treatment of mucoceles. Ann Maxillofac Surg.2016;6:204-9.
14. Sagari SK, Vamsi KC, Shah D, Singh V, Patil GB, Saawarn S. Micro-marsupialization: a minimally invasive technique for mucocele in children and adolescents. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent.2012;30:188-191.
15. Pedron IG, Galletta VC, Azevedo LH, Correa L. Treatment of mucocele of the lower lip with diode laser in pediatric patients: presentation of 2 clinical cases. Pediatr Dent. 2010;32:539-41.
16. Ohta N, Fukase S, Suzuki Y, Aoyagi M. Treatment of salivary mucocele of the lower lip by OK-432. Auris Nasus Larynx.2011;38:240-243.
17. Amaral MB, de Freitas JB, Mesquita RA (2012) Upgrading of the micro-marsupialisation technique for the management of mucus extravasation or retention phenomena. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41:1527-31.
18. Oka M, Nishioka E, Miyachi R, Terashima M, Nishigori C. Case of superficial mucocele of the lower lip. J Dermatol . 2007;34:754-756.
19. Baurmash HD (2003) Mucoceles and ranulas. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61:369-78.
20. Huang IY, Chen CM, Kao YH, Worthington P. Treatment of mucocele of the lower lip with carbon dioxide laser. J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2007;65:855-8.
21. Jones AV, Franklin CD. An analysis of oral and maxillofacial pathology found in children over a 30-year period. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2006;16:19-30.
22. Kopp WK, St-Hilaire H. Mucosal preservation in the treatment of mucocele with CO2 laser. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62:1559-1561.
23. Boj JR, Poirier C, Espasa E, Hernandez M, Espanya A. Lower lip mucocele treated with an erbium laser. Pediatr Dent . 2019;31:249-52.
24. Ramkumar S, Ramkumar L, Malathi N, Suganya R. Excision of Mucocele Using Diode Laser in Lower Lip. Case Rep Dent. 2016; 2016:1746316.
25. Di Lauro AE, Abbate D, Dell'angelo B, Di Lauro F, Sammartino G. Treatment of a post surgery defect of the lower lip: a case report. Minerva Stomatol. 2010;59:663-669.
26. More CB, Bhavsar K, Varma S, Tailor M. Oral mucocele: A clinical and histopathological study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol.2014;18:S72-77.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.