Correlation of the Need for Orthodontic Treatment between the self-perception of Chilean adolescents aged 14 to 18 years and the dentist’s diagnosis.
AbstractBackground: To correlate the need for orthodontic treatment between the self-perception of Chilean adolescents from 14 to 18 years old with the observation of a dentist using the same assessment scale, as well as to determine if covariates such as gender, age and type of school influence the self-perception of the adolescent and the examiner. Material and Methods: Cross-sectional descriptive study of adolescents aged 14 to 18 years from public, subsidized and private schools in Temuco, Chile. The probability sample is stratified by course, from first to fourth year, a total of 414 students participated, according to the eligibility criteria. The photographic score of the aesthetic component (AC) of the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) was used. The statistical analysis of the data was performed with the SPSS Statistics program v.23. Results: 94.9% of the adolescents perceived themselves as having good aesthetics. The examiner considered that 77% presented this condition, p<0.00. Males perceived themselves better than females. At age 15, 1.7% of students considered themselves to have poor aesthetics, p<0.01. From the examiner's perspective, aesthetics are related to type of school, p<0.00. Conclusion: Adolescents perceive themselves better aesthetically than do the evaluators. The school type factor, according to the IOTN-AC examiner, shows a higher proportion of students with no need for orthodontic treatment in private schools, and a threshold need in municipal and subsidized institutions.
2. Almeida AB, Leite ICG, Silva GAD. Evidence in Ortho-dontics related to qualitative research. Dental Press J Orthod. 2018 1;23(4):64-71.
3. Klages U, Claus N, Wehrbein H, Zentner A. Development of a questionnaire for assessment of the psychosocial impact of dental aesthetics in young adults. Eur J Orthod. 2006;28(2):103-11.
4. Dutra SR, Pretti H, Martins MT, Bendo CB, Vale MP. Impact of malocclusion on the quality of life of children aged 8 to 10 years. Dental Press J Orthod. 2018 ;23(2):46-53
5. Yi S, Zhang C, Ni C, Qian Y, Zhang J. Psychosocial impact of dental aesthetics and desire for orthodontic treatment among Chinese undergraduate students. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2016;10:1037-42.
6. Kerosuo H, Hausen H, Laine T, Shaw WC. The influence of incisal malocclusion on the social attractiveness of young adults in Finland. Eur J Orthod. 1995;17(6):505-512
7. Evans R, Shaw W. Preliminary evaluation of an illustrated scale for rating dental attractiveness. Eur J Orthod. 1987;9(4):314-318.
8. Bellot-Arcís C, Montiel-Company JM, Almerich-Silla JM, Paredes-Gallardo V, Gandía-Franco JL. The use of occlusal indices in high-impact literature. Community Dent Health. 2012;29(1):45-8.
9. Boronat-Catalá M, Bellot-Arcís C, Montiel-Company JM, Catalá-Pizarro M, Almerich-Silla JM. Orthodontic treatment need of 9, 12 and 15 year-old children according to the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need and the Dental Aesthetic Index. J Orthod. 2016;43(2):130-6.
10. Brook PH, Shaw WC. The development of an index of orthodontic treatment priority. Eur J Orthod. 1989;11(3):309-20.
11. Holmes A. The prevalence of orthodontic treatment need. Br J Orthod.1992; 19:177-82.
12. Boronat-Catalá M, Bellot-Arcís C, Montiel-Company JM, Catalá-Pizarro M, Almerich-Silla JM. Orthodontic treatment need of 9, 12 and 15 year-old children according to the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need and the Dental Aesthetic Index. J Orthod. 2016;43(2):130-6.
13. Klages U, Bruckner A, Zentner A. Dental aesthetics, self-awareness, and oral health-related quality of life in young adults. Eur J Orthod. 2004;26(5):507-14.
14. Khan M, Fida M. Assessment of psychosocial impact of dental aesthetics. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2008;18(9):559-64.
15. Singh VP, Sharma A, Roy DK. Assessment of the Self-Perception of Dental Appearance, Its Comparison with Orthodontist's Assessment and Demand for Treatment in Eastern Nepalese Patients. Adv Med. 2014;2014:547625.
16. Castillo M y col. Necesidad de Tto. Ortodoncico según Índice IOTN, en niños escolares de la unidad educativa “Maribel Caballero”. Rev Venez Invest Odont. 2016; 4 (1): 40-9.
17. Guerrero-Luzuriaga J, Villavicencio-Caparó E, González-Campoverde L. Autopercepción de necesidad de tratamiento ortodóntico en escolares de 12 años en la Parroquia El Sagrario del Cantón Cuenca-Ecuador. Rev Estomatol Herediana. 2017; 27(2): 67-73.
18. Eslamipour F, Afshari Z, Najimi A. Prevalence of orthodontic treatment need in permanent dentition of Iranian population: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Dent Res J. 2018 ;15(1):1-10.
19. Santos P, Gonçalves A, Marega T. Validity of the Psychosocial Impact of Dental Aesthetics Questionnaire for use on Brazilian adolescents. Dental Press J Orthod. 2016;21(3):67-72.
20. Kragt L, Dhamo B, Wolvius EB, Ongkosuwito EM. The impact of malocclusions on oral health-related quality of life in children-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Oral Investig. 2016 ;20(8):1881-94
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.