Dental health status and Oral Health-Related Quality of Life in older people of Puerto Montt, Chile.
AbstractAbstract: Introduction: Older people tend to have poor oral health, which can affect their quality of life. This study aimed to explore the relationship of the Oral Health-Related Quality of Life (OHRQoL) with sociodemographic variables and the dental health status of older people who belong to Elderly Clubs in the district of Puerto Montt, Chile. Material and methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out in 140 elderly people from Elderly Clubs in the district of Puerto Montt, Chile. Sociodemographic and dental variables were studied using a questionnaire and clinical examination. The GOHAI instrument validated in Chile was applied to measure the OHRQoL. Results: The mean of the total GOHAI was 50.8±8.6 points, and the median was 53. Of the 140 elderly people, 87.9% were females, the means of age and years of education were 73.2±6.2 and 7.5±4.4 years, respectively. 30% were edentulous, the number of remaining teeth was 7.8±8.1, the OHI-S was 1.3±1.0. 85.7% wore dentures, and the time of denture wearing was 8.8±9.4 years. Significant associations were found between the total GOHAI and non-belonging to an indigenous people (p=0.024), being edentulous (p=0.006), and the presence of healthy teeth (p=0.039). Conclusion: The GOHAI showed a significant relationship with not-belonging to an indigenous ethnicity, being edentulous, and the number of healthy teeth. The OHRQoL was higher in males, with formal education, edentulous, dentated without teeth mobility, with complete dentures, and moderate denture hygiene.
2. Appukuttan DP, Tadepalli A, Victor DJ, Dharuman S. Oral Health Related Quality of Life among Tamil Speaking Adults Attending a Dental Institution in Chennai, Southern India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Oct;10(10):ZC114-120.
3. John MT, Reissmann DR, Čelebić A, Baba K, Kende D, Larsson P, Rener-Sitar K. Integration of oral health-related quality of life instruments. J Dent. 2016;53:38-43.
4. Durán-Napolitano D, Moya-Rivera P, Aubert-Valderrama J, Becerra-Reus A, Lara-Lüer A, Monsalves-Villalobos MJ. Percepción de salud bucal en adultos mayores de dos comunas con desarrollos extremos en Chile. Rev. CES Odont. 2016;29(1):5-12.
5. Rebelo MA, Cardoso EM, Robinson PG, Vettore MV. Demographics, social position, dental status and oral health-related quality of life in community-dwelling older adults. Qual Life Res. 2016;25:1735-42.
6. Yen YY, Lee HE, Wu YM, Lan SJ, Wang WC, Du JK, Huang ST, Hsu KJ. Impact of removable dentures on oral health-related quality of life mong elderly adults in Taiwan. BMC Oral Health. 2015;15:1.
7. İlhan B, Cal E, Dündar N, Güneri P, Dağhan Ş. Oral health-related quality of life among institutionalized patients after dental rehabilitation. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2015;15:1151-7.
8. Fang HP, En LJ, Meei TI, Ahmad R, Abdul Aziz AF, Said SM, Mohd Dom TN. Impact of Tooth Loss and Preferences for Tooth Replacement Among Clinic Attendees at a Public University. J Dent Indones. 2018;25(2):108-113.
9. Alshammari M, Baseer MA, Ingle NA, Assery MK, Al Khadhari MA. Oral health-related quality of life among elderly people with edentulous jaws in Hafar Al-Batin region, Saudi Arabia. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2018;8(6):495-502.
10. Batisse C, Bonnet G, Bessadet M, Veyrune JL, Hennequin M, Peyron MA, Nicolas E. Stabilization of mandibular complete dentures by four mini implants: Impact on masticatory function. J Dent. 2016;50:43-50.
11. Bonnet G, Batisse C, Segyo JW, Veyrune JL, Nicolas E, Bessadet M. Influence of the renewal of removable dentures on oral health related quality of life. Springerplus. 2016;5:2019.
12. Von Kretschmann San Martin D, Torres Varela A, Sierra Fuentes M, del Pozo Bassi J, Quiroga Aravena R, Quiroga del Pozo R. Rendimiento masticatorio y nivel de satisfacción de pacientes tratados con prótesis totales en la Universidad Mayor. Rev Clin Periodoncia Implantol Rehabil Oral. 2015;8(1):17-23.
13. Batisse C, Bonnet G, Veyrune JL, Nicolas E, Bessadet M. Predictive Parameters of Oral Health Quality of Life in Complete Mandibular Denture Wearers Stabilized by Mini-Implants: A Two-Year Follow-up Study. Materials. 2017;10:1197.
14. Misrachi C, Espinoza I. Utilidad de las Mediciones de la Calidad de Vida Relacionada con la Salud. Rev Dent Chile. 2005;96(2):28-35.
15. Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index. J Dent Educ. 1990;54(11):680-7.
16. Chahar P, Mohanty VR, Aswini YB. Oral Health-Related Quality of Life among Elderly Patients Visiting Special Clinics in Public Hospitals in Delhi, India: A Cross-sectional Study. Indian J Public Health. 2019;63(1):15-20.
17. Zenthöfer A, Rammelsberg P, Cabrera T, Schröder J, Hassel AJ. Determinants of oral health-related quality of life of the institutionalized elderly. Psychogeriatrics. 2014;14:247-54.
18. Rekhi A, Marya CM, Oberoi SS, Nagpal R, Dhingra C, Kataria S. Periodontal status and oral health-related quality of life in elderly residents of aged care homes in Delhi. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2016;16:474-80.
19. Salazar O. Validación en Chile del cuestionario GOHAI y Xerostomía Inventory (XI) en adultos mayores. [Tesis]. Santiago, Chile: Universidad de Chile; 2010.
20. World Health Organization. Oral Health Surveys: Basic Methods. Fifth Edition. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2013.
21. Greene JC. The Oral Hygiene Index – Development and Uses. J Periodontol. 1967;38(6):625-37.
22. Vigild M. Oral mucosal lesions among institutionalized elderly in Denmark. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1987;15:309-13.
23. Landis JR, Koch GG. The Measurement of Observer Agreement for Categorical Data. Biometrics. 1977;33:159-74.
24. Eguchi T, Tada M, Shiratori T, Imai M, Onose Y, Suzuki S, Satou R, Ishizuka Y, Sugihara N. Factors Associated with Undergoing Regular Dental Check-ups in Healthy Elderly Individuals. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2018;59(4):229-236.
25. Rezaei M, Rashedi V, Morasae EK. A Persian version of Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index. Gerodontology. 2016;33:335-41.
26. Klotz AL, Hassel AJ, Schöder J, Rammelsberg P, Zenthöfer A. Oral health-related quality of life and prosthetic status of nursing home residents with or without dementia. Clin Interv Aging. 2017;12:659-65.
27. Shao R, Hu T, Zhong YS, Li X, Gao YB, Wang YF, Yin W. Socio-demographic factors, dental status and health-related behaviors associated with geriatric oral health-related quality of life in Southwestern China. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018;16:98.
28. Niesten D, Witter D, Bronkhorst E, Creugers N. Oral health-related quality of life and associated factors in a care-dependent and care-independent older population. J Dent. 2016;55:33-9.
29. Díaz-Cárdenas S, Simancas-Pallares M. Propiedades psicométricas de la versión en español del Índice General de Valoración de Salud Bucal [GOHAI] en pacientes adultos de Cartagena (Colombia). Salud Uninorte. Barranquilla (Col). 2017;33(3):393-404.
30. Khan SU, Ghani F, Nazir Z. The effect of some missing teeth on a subjects’ oral health related quality of life. Pak J Med Sci. 2018;34(6):1457-62.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.