Influence of dentin conditioning with polyacrylic acid on the shear bond strength of a nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer cement.
AbstractPurpose: This in vitro study aimed to evaluate the influence of dentin conditioning with polyacrylic acid on the shear bond strength of the nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer cement Ketac N100 (3MESPE). Material and methods: Eighteen bovine incisors were randomly divided into two groups (n=18): group 1, without dentin surface treatment, and group 2, with dentin surface treated with 10% polyacrylic acid for 15 seconds. In both groups the primer was applied before the application of the nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer cement (Ketac N100) and light-cured for 20 seconds. After 24 hours, the specimens were submitted to thermocycling for 350 cycles, and the teeth were immersed in distilled water at room temperature. After 24 hours, specimens were tested for shear bond strength at 1mm/minute crosshead speed. The collected data were analyzed using the non-parametric test of Mann Whitney (p<0.05). Results: There was a significant difference in shear bond strength values between the treatment and control groups, the group with dentin conditioning with 10% polyacrylic acid showed higher shear strength values than the group without dentin treatment. Conclusion: Application of 10% polyacrylic acid on dentin increases the shear bond strength values of nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer cement.
2. Sidhu SK, Nicholson JW. A Review of Glass-Ionomer Cements for Clinical Dentistry. J Funct Biomater. 2016;7(3):16.
3. Najeeb S, Khurshid Z, Zafar MS, Khan AS, Zohaib S, Martí JM, Sauro S, Matinlinna JP, Rehman IU. Modifications in Glass Ionomer Cements: Nano-Sized Fillers and Bioactive Nanoceramics. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(7):1134.
4. Almuhaiza M. Glass-ionomer Cements in Restorative Dentistry: A Critical Appraisal. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016; 17(4):331- 6.
5. Imbery TA, Namboodiri A, Duncan A, Amos R, Best AM, Moon PC. Evaluating dentin surface treatments for resin-modified glass ionomer restorative materials. Oper Dent. 2013; 38(4):429-38.
6. Saad A, Inoue G, Nikaido T, Ikeda M, Burrow MF, Tagami J. Microtensile Bond Strength of Resin-Modified Glass Ionomer Cement to Sound and Artificial Caries-Affected Root Dentin With Different Conditioning. Oper Dent. 2017; 42(6):626-35.
7. Rai N, Naik R, Gupta R, Shetty S, Singh A. Evaluating the Effect of Different Conditioning Agents on the Shear Bond Strength of Resin-Modified Glass Ionomers. ContempClin Dent. 2017;8(4):604-12.
8. Mazaheri R, Pishevar L, Shichani AV, Geravandi S. Effect of different cavity conditioners on microleakage of glass ionomer cement with a high viscosity in primary teeth. Dent Res J. 2015;12(4):337-41.
9. Unnikrishnan S, Krishnamurthy NH, Nagarathna C. Marginal microleakage of glass ionomer cement with two different cavity conditioners on primary anterior teeth - An in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res. 2019; 30(2):267-272.
10. Berg JH, Croll TP. Glass ionomer restorative cement systems: an update. Pediatr Dent. 2015; 37(2):116-124.
11. Sauro S, Watson T, Moscardó AP, Luzi A, Feitosa VP, Banerjee A. The effect of dentine pre-treatment using bioglass and/or polyacrylic acid on the interfacial characteristics of resin-modified glass ionomer cements. J Dent. 2018; 73:32-39.
12. Sauro S, Faus-Matoses V, Makeeva I, Nuñez Martí JM, Gonzalez Martínez R, García Bautista JA, Faus-Llácer V. Effects of Polyacrylic Acid Pre-Treatment on Bonded-Dentine Interfaces Created with a Modern Bioactive Resin-Modified Glass Ionomer Cement and Subjected to Cycling Mechanical Stress. Materials. 2018;11(10):1884.
13. Nicholson JW. Adhesion of glass-ionomer cements to teeth: A review. Int J Adhes Adhes. 2016; 69: 33-38.
14. Technical specification ISO/TS 11405. Dental Materials – testing of adhesion to tooth structure. 2th Ed. Switzerland; 2003.
15. El-Askary FS, Nassif MS. The effect of the pre-conditioning step on the shear bond strength of nano-filled resin-modified glass-ionomer to dentin. Eur J Dent. 2011; 5(2):150- 6.
16. Hamama HH, Burrow MF, Yiu C. Effect of dentine conditioning on adhesion of resin-modified glass ionomer adhesives. Aust Dent J. 2014 Jun; 59(2):193-200.
17. Mauro SJ, Sundfeld RH, Bedran-Russa AKB, FragaBriso ALF. Bond strength of resin modified glass ionomer to dentin: the effect of dentin surface treatment. J Minim Interv Dent 2009; 2: 45-53.
18. Korkmaz Y, Gurgan S, Firat E, Nathanson D. Shear bond strength of three different nano-restorative materials to dentin. Oper Dent. 2010; 35(1): 50-57.
19. Coutinho E, Cardoso MV, De Munck J, Neves AA, Van Landuyt KL, Poitevin A, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Bonding effectiveness and interfacial characterization of a nano-filled resin-modified glass-ionomer. Dent Mater. 2009;25(11):1347-57.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.