Evaluation of apical debris extrusion and patency file in continuous and reciprocating rotary endodontic systems.
AbstractThe aim of the study was to quantify and compare apical debris extrusion in two systems of continuous and reciprocating rotary instrumentation with, and without, the use of a patency file. An experimental study was carried out in 120 mesial roots of lower first molars, which were randomized in the following 4 groups: Group A. Reciproc (VDW) R25 without a patency file, Group B Mtwo (VDW) without a patency file, Group C Reciproc (VDW) R25 with a patency file and Group D Mtwo with a patency file. Groups A, B and C presented statistically significant differences in comparison to group D, Mtwo with the use of a patency file (p<0.008 to 95% reliability). In conclusion, the greater amount of debris extruded through the apex occurred in roots instrumented with the reciprocating rotary system; this difference was statistically significant in relation to teeth treated with the Mtwo continuous rotary system with the use of a patency file.
2. Yeter KY, Evcil MS, Ayranci LB, Ersoy I. Weight of apically extruded debris following use of two canal instrumentation techniques and two designs of irrigation needles. Int Endod J. 2013;46(9):795-9.
3. Reddy SA, Hicks ML. Apical extrusion of debris using two hand and two rotary instrumentation techniques. J Endod. 1998;24(3):180-3.
4. Souza RA. The importance of apical patency and cleaning of the apical foramen on root canal preparation. Braz Dent J. 2006;17(1):6-9.
5. Deonizio MD, Sydney GB, Batista A, Pontarolo R, Guimaraes PR, Gavini G. Influence of apical patency and cleaning of the apical foramen on periapical extrusion in retreatment. Braz Dent J. 2013;24(5):482-6.
6. Luisi SB, Zottis AC, Piffer CS, Vanzin ACdM, Ligabue RA. Apical extrusion of debris after hand, engine-driven reciprocating and continuous preparation. Revista Odonto Ciência. 2010;25:288-91.
7. Topcuoglu HS, Zan R, Akpek F, Topcuoglu G, Ulusan O, Akti A, et al. Apically extruded debris during root canal preparation using Vortex Blue, K3XF, ProTaper Next and Reciproc instruments. Int Endod J 2016;49(12):1183-7.
8. Topcuoglu HS, Akti A, Tuncay O, Dincer AN, Duzgun S, Topcuoglu G. Evaluation of Debris Extruded Apically during the Removal of Root Canal Filling Material Using ProTaper, D-RaCe, and R-Endo Rotary Nickel-Titanium Retreatment Instruments and Hand Files. J Endod. 2014;40(12):2066-9.
9. Xavier F, Nevares G, Romeiro MK, Goncalves K, Gominho L, Albuquerque D. Apical extrusion of debris from root canals using reciprocating files associated with two irrigation systems. Int Endod J. 2015;48(7):661-5.
10. Madhusudhana K, Mathew VB, Reddy NM. Apical extrusion of debris and irrigants using hand and three rotary instrumentation systems - An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2010;1(4):234-6.
11. Farmakis ET, Sotiropoulos GG, Abramovitz I, Solomonov M. Apical debris extrusion associated with oval shaped canals: a comparative study of WaveOne vs Self-Adjusting File. Clin Oral Investig. 2016;20(8):2131-8.
12. Surakanti JR, Venkata RC, Vemisetty HK, Dandolu RK, Jaya NK, Thota S. Comparative evaluation of apically extruded debris during root canal preparation using ProTaper, Hyflex and Waveone rotary systems. Journal of conservative dentistry : J Conserv Dent. 2014;17(2):129-32.
13. Hasheminia SM, Farhadi N, Shokraneh A. Effect of Patency File on Transportation and Curve Straightening in Canal Preparation with ProTaper System. ISRN Dent. 2013;2013:704027.
14. Nayak G, Singh I, Shetty S, Dahiya S. Evaluation of apical extrusion of debris and irrigant using two new reciprocating and one continuous rotation single file systems. J Dent. 2014;11:302-9.
15. Burklein S, Benten S, Schafer E. Quantitative evaluation of apically extruded debris with different single-file systems: Reciproc, F360 and OneShape versus Mtwo. Int Endod J. 2014;47(5):405-9.
16. Kucukyilmaz E, Savas S, Saygili G, Uysal B. Assessment of apically extruded debris and irrigant produced by different nickel-titanium instrument systems. Braz Oral Res. 2015;29:1-6.
17. Jalali S, Eftekhar B, Paymanpour P, Yazdizadeh M, Jafarzadeh M. Effects of Reciproc, Mtwo and ProTaper Instruments on Formation of Root Fracture. Iran Endod J. 2015;10(4):252-5.
18. Peixoto IF, Pereira ES, Aun DP, Buono VT, Bahia MG. Constant Insertion Rate Methodology for Measuring Torque and Apical Force in 3 Nickel-Titanium Instruments with Different Cross-sectional Designs. J Endod. 2015;41(9):1540-4.
19. Plotino G, Giansiracusa Rubini A, Grande NM, Testarelli L, Gambarini G. Cutting efficiency of Reciproc and waveOne reciprocating instruments. J Endod. 2014;40(8):1228-30.
20. Topcuoglu HS, Ustun Y, Akpek F, Akti A, Topcuoglu G. Effect of coronal flaring on apical extrusion of debris during root canal instrumentation using single-file systems. Int Endod J. 2016;49(9):884-9.
21. Short RD, Dorn SO, Kuttler S. The crystallization of sodium hypochlorite on gutta-percha cones after the rapid-sterilization technique: an SEM study. J Endod. 2003;29(10):670-3.
22. Burklein S, Schafer E. Apically extruded debris with reciprocating single-file and full-sequence rotary instrumentation systems. J Endod. 2012;38(6):850-2.
23. Dincer AN, Er O, Canakci BC. Evaluation of apically extruded debris during root canal retreatment with several NiTi systems. Int Endod J. 2015;48(12):1194-8.
24. Ng YL, Mann V, Gulabivala K. A prospective study of the factors affecting outcomes of non-surgical root canal treatment: part 2: tooth survival. Int Endod J. 2011;44(7):610-25.
25. Tanalp J, Gungor T. Apical extrusion of debris: a literature review of an inherent occurrence during root canal treatment. Int Endod J. 2014;47(3):211-21.
26. Lu Y, Wang R, Zhang L, Li HL, Zheng QH, Zhou XD, et al. Apically extruded debris and irrigant with two Ni-Ti systems and hand files when removing root fillings: a laboratory study. Int Endod J. 2013;46(12):1125-30.
27. Kocak MM, Cicek E, Kocak S, Saglam BC, Yilmaz N. Apical extrusion of debris using ProTaper Universal and ProTaper Next rotary systems. Int Endod J. 2015;48(3):283-6.
28. Camoes IC, Salles MR, Fernando MV, Freitas LF, Gomes CC. Relationship between the size of patency file and apical extrusion of sodium hypochlorite. Indian J Dent Res. 2009;20(4):426-30.
29. Lambrianidis T, Tosounidou E, Tzoanopoulou M. The effect of maintaining apical patency on periapical extrusion. J Endod. 2001;27(11):696-8.
30. Sanchez JA, Duran-Sindreu F, Matos MA, Carabaño TG, Bellido MM, Castro SM, Cayón MR. Apical transportation created using three different patency instruments. Int Endod J. 2010;43(7):560-4.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.