Relationship between the occlusal vertical dimension and anthropometric measurements of the fingers.
AbstractThe alteration of the vertical dimension can deteriorate the facial harmony, and it can be measured through objective and subjective methods, although many of which are not reliable. Objective: Relate the anthropometric fingers length with the measurement of the vertical occlusal dimension (VOD). Material and Methods: Cross-sectional, observational study that included 114 students from the School of Dentistry with class I malocclusion and complete dentition. The VOD was evaluated as the measurement between the subnasal points and the mental point; anthropometric measures included the length of the fingers (from the most mesial fold to the most distal edge) and the distance projected between the thumb and the index finger. Results: The average VOD was 64.03±5.15mm. A correlation was found between the VOD and the index finger length (p<0.01, r=0.29), between the VOD and middle finger length (p<0.01, r=0.31) and correlation between the VOD and the length of the little finger (p<0.05, r=0.23). No correlation was found between the VOD and the ring finger lengths (p= 0.051) or thumb (p=0.12). Conclusions: The anthropometric measurements of the index finger, middle finger, little finger and the projection of the thumb on the index finger correlated with the length of the vertical occlusal dimension.
2. Marin DO, Leite AR, de Oliveira Junior NM, Compagnoni MA, Pero AC, Arioli Filho JN. Reestablishment of Occlusal Vertical Dimension in Complete Denture Wearing in Two Stages. Case Rep Dent. 2015;2015:762914.
3. Vinnakota DN, Kanneganti KC, Pulagam M, Keerthi GK. Determination of vertical dimension of occlusion using lateral profile photographs: A pilot study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2016;16(4):323-7.
4. Enkling N, Enkling-Scholl J, Albrecht D, Bornstein MM, Schimmel M. Determination of the occlusal vertical dimension in edentulous patients using lateral cephalograms. J Oral Rehabil. 2018;45(5):399-405.
5. Swenson MG. Complete Dentures. 4th Ed. St Louis, MO: Mosby; 1959.
6. Tueller VM. The relationship between the vertical dimension of occlusion and forces generated by closing muscles of mastication. J Prosthet Dent. 1969;22(3):284–8.
7. Goodfriend DJ. Symptomatology and treatment of abnormalities of the mandibular articulation. Dent Cosmos. 1933;75:844: 947-1106.
8. Willis FM. Features involved in full denture prostheses. Dent Cosmos. 1935;77:851–4.
9. Watarai Y, Mizuhashi F, Sato T, Koide K. Highly producible method for determination of occlusal vertical dimension: relationship between measurement of lip contact position with the closed mouth and area of upper prolabium. J Prosthodont Res. 2018;62(4):485-9
10. Majeed MI, Haralur SB, Khan MF, Al Ahmari MA, Al Shahrani NF, Shaik S. An Anthropometric Study of Craniofacial Measurements and Their Correlation with Vertical Dimension of Occlusion among Saudi Arabian Subpopulations. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(4):680-6.
11. Ladda R, Kasat VO, Bhandari AJ. A new technique to determine vertical dimension of occlusion from anthropometric measurement of interpupillary distance. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014;6(4):e395-9.
12. Mishra MK, Singh RK, Suwal P, Parajuli PK, Shrestha P, Baral D. A comparative study to find out the relationship between the inner inter-canthal distance, interpupillary distance, inter-commissural width, inter-alar width, and the width of maxillary anterior teeth in Aryans and Mongoloids. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2016;8:29-34.
13. Moreno Uribe LM, Ray A, Blanchette DR, Dawson DV, Southard TE. Phenotype-genotype correlations of facial width and height proportions in patients with Class II malocclusion. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2015;18 Suppl 1:100-8.
14. Ladda R, Bhandari AJ, Kasat VO, Angadi GS. A new technique to determine vertical dimension of occlusion from anthropometric measurements of fingers. Indian J Dent Res. 2013;24(3):316-20.
15. Proffit WR. The etiology of the orthodontic problems. In: Proffit WR, Fields HW, eds. Contemporary Orthodontic. 3th Ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2000: 13-144.
16. Basnet BB, Parajuli PK, Singh RK, Suwal P, Shrestha P, Baral D. An anthropometric study to evaluate the correlation between the occlusal vertical dimension and length of the thumb. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2015;7:33–9.
17. Atwood DA. A critique of research of the rest position of the mandible. 1966;16(5):848-54.
18. Ismail YH, George WA. The consistency of the swallowing technique in determining occlusal vertical relation in edentulous patients. J Prosthet Dent. 1968;19(3):230-6.
19. Silverman MM. Accurate measurement of vertical dimen¬sion by phonetics and the speaking centric space, Part I. Dent Dig. 1951;57:265.
20. Benediktsson E. Variation in Tongue and Jaw Position in “S” Sound Production in Relation to Front Teeth Occlusion. Acta Odontol Scand. 1958;15(4):275-303.
21. Alhajj MN, Musaad NJ, Ismail IA. Correlation between Finger Length and Occlusal Vertical Dimension in Adult Sudanese Women. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2016;57(4):215-21. doi: 10.2209/tdcpublication.2016-0001.
22. Al-Dhaher HA, AL-Huwaizi AF. Determination of the vertical dimension by cranio-facial measurement using clinical and cephalometric analysis (comparative study). J Bagh College Dentistry. 2009;21:44–7.
23. Pointer J. The far interpupillary distance. A gender specific varia¬tion with advancing age. Ophthal Physiol Opt. 1999;19:317-26.
24. Harper RP. Indicaciones clínicas para modificar la dimensión vertical en oclusión, consideraciones funcionales y biológicas para la reconstrucción de la oclusión dentaria. Quintessence Internacional. 2001; 14(4):242-6.
25. Oliveira E, Martin EM, Falcón RM, Chagas A. Prótesis dental en el paciente anciano: Aspectos relevantes. Rev Estomatol Hered. 2007;17(2):104-7.
26. García-Fajardo C, Cacho A, Fonte A, Pérez JC. La oclusión como factor etiopatológico en los trastornos temporomandibulares. RCOE. 2007; 12 (1-2): 37-47.
27. Preti G. Rehabilitación protésica. Tomo 1. 1st. Ed. Colombia: Amolca; 2007.
28. Marcé M, Lorente M, Galera MT, Figueras O, Badet A, Padullés E, Giner Ll, Cortada M.. Prótesis Completa: Técnica Cortada. A propósito de un caso. Dentum. 2004; 4 (2): 55-61.
29. Bissasu M. Pre-extraction records for complete denture fabrication: a literature review. J Prosthet Dent. 2004;91(1):55-8.
30. Nagpal A, Parkash H, Bhargava A, Chittaranjan B. Reliability of different facial measurements for determination of vertical dimension of occlusion in edentulous using accepted facial dimensions recorded from dentulous subjects. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2014;14(3):233-42.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.